Quote of the Day/ Gianni Versace Era Campaigns

image

On the  June/July issue of Interview, Donatella speaks with Lenny Kravitz about the 80’s revival in fashion:

I knew that trend was coming. I knew exactly when every designer was going to start doing it. And I couldn’t, because I was with Gianni doing the ’80s, in the ’80s. I have so many pieces in the archives that I could put right out on the runway and they’d be perfect. [laughs] In general, I think, yes, we can look back, but not that much. It’s too literal. Like shoulder pads. We belonged to that time. But for me, it doesn’t make sense today. You can play with it for one season, but it’s not going to be revolutionary. I think we should move forward, not back. To define the era we live in is very difficult . . . Fashion is struggling to define itself today. For me, I’m concentrating more on fabrics, on the technological aspect of fabrics.

Way to stand your ground Donatella! I would much rather buy one of your exquisite goddess dress that will be in my wardrobe for a long time rather than some shoulder pads piece that I will only wear for one season (or in the case of Balmain, Spring and Fall 2009).

I am so curious about which seasons Donatella had in mind! So I went on a mini search to fully comprehend what she meant. Spoiler alert: stardoll Brooke Shields, Madonna, Former America’s Next Top Model Judges Janice Dickinson and Paulina Porizkova are included.

I also included some 90’s ads because they remind me of Narcisso Rodriguez/ Tisci-Givenchy bondage, D-squared cowboy leather and colorful Marc Jacobs/ Alexander Wang like garments worn by Kate Moss.

Also, what is fascinating is you can see two decades of models gradually change from the supremely flawless Porizkova and Iman, to the glamazons with Naomi Campbell and Christy Turlington, until finally to the heroin-chic model like Kate Moss.

Versace FW1980
Photographer: Richard Avedon.
Models: Janice Dickinson, Brooke Shields, Talisa Soto.

Versace SS1983
Photographer: Richard Avedon.
Models: Iman, Jerry Hall, Lynne Koester, Janice Dickinson, Lauren Helm.

1983 F/W
Richard Avedon
Janice Dickinson
bbjanicedickinson198308wu7 bbid198308versacefw83hbnr0 bbid198308versacefw83hbtd1 bbid198308versacefw83hbfr0

Versace FW1987
Model: Tatjana Patitz,Unk
Photographer: Helmut Newton.

Versace SS1988
Photographer: Richard Avedon.
Models: Christy Turligton, Linda Evangelista, Cindy Crwaford, Paulina Porizkova.

image

Versace FW1990
Models: Naomi Campbell, Christy Turlington, Tatjana Pattiz, Cameron Alborzain, Cindy Crwaford, Unk
Photographer: Herb Ritts
image

Versace FW1991
Models: Stephanie Seymour, Karen Mulder, LindaEvangelista, Christy Turlington, Helena Christensen, Cindy Crwaford.
Photographer: Herb Ritts.

BONDAGE 1992 by Irving Penn
Models Claudia Schiffer, Naomi Campbell, Christy Turlington & Yasmeen Ghauri.
63785_st3_122_849lo 64250_st7_122_90lo64383_st9_122_726lo 64007_st5_122_577lo  63895_st4_122_139lo 64202_st6_122_1159lo63634_st1_122_414lo 64301_st8_122_108lo64509_st10_122_970lo 

Versace FW1996
Photographer: Richard Avedon.
Model: Kate Moss.
image  image

You have read this article ANTM / Brooke Shields / Christy Turlington / Iman / Interview Mag / Jerry Hall / Kate Moss / Linda Evangelista / Naomi Campbell / Paulina Porizkova / Quote of the Day / Versace with the title Quote of the Day/ Gianni Versace Era Campaigns. You can bookmark this page URL http://viciomusicayelamor.blogspot.com/2009/05/quote-of-day-gianni-versace-era.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...