NYC Fashion Week S/S 2010 Day 5

Marc Jacobs, Zac Posen, Carolina Herrera, Donna Karan, Thakoon, Maria Cornejo, Rad Hourani, J Mendel, Jill Stuart

Marc Jacobs
Marc Jacobs-1
Marc Jacobs-2
Marc Jacobs-3Marc Jacobs-4 Marc Jacobs

Iris opened and Stam finally walked the runway in a really provocative net ensemble that I just loved!

I am not gonna lie. When I saw twit pics, and then when I watched the whole collection for the first time, I was skeptical. It looked really ugly to me and I had no idea what Mark was trying to say. Bras over shirts (again)? I mean, Freja’s outfit has a fannypack. A FANNY PACK! But then I started going through the detail shots and was mesmerized by the sheer intricacies of the work. The ruffles-- and the pearls that dripped from them…that last dress…sheer magic.

The collection looked like a blend of Geisha (with the hair and make-up along with the shoes) and the sea (it looks like a bunch of sea anemones or stuff you see underwater). Although Jacobs said "If last season was a trip back in time to the eighties, this was a trip to the theater, the ballet, the opera."

And the bags. OMG the tassel bags and the fringe bags. We will be seeing those to no end for next couple months on the paparazzi photos and in editorials.

Zac Posen
Zac Posen-1
Zac Posen-2Zac Posen

Vlada opened and Tao closed. Coco also dominated the runway along with Abbey Lee.

The past two seasons Zac Posen had been stuck to this tacky-cheap kind of look. His collection in the past year have not met the standards that we expect from him (2008 was his year).

This time around, he didn’t exactly stay away from that tacky sensibility.  I mean look at those ghetto-fab fluffy coats and paste-on rainbow flowers on Tao’s closing dress.

It was an okay collection. It was fun. Especially the first few dresses.

Carolina Herrera Carolina Herrera-1 Carolina Herrera-2 Carolina Herrera

Natasha Poly opened (typical) and Magdalena closed. (Why is Heidi still modeling? Gah…I don’t get her).

I love Carolina. her clothes always look to me like proper dressing, you know? Like if you want to be considered a lady and to be respected, you wear Carolina Herrera. I am sure Anna Wintour and Rene Zellweger share this mentality.

This season Carolina was on trend with the orange. She used such lush and luxurious materials, I can’t help but think of how expensive all those models look.

Herrera's program notes explained that the collection's starting point was the intricate forms woven in Japanese baskets.

My favorite is Lily Donaldson’s white dress.

Donna KaranDonna Karan-1 Donna Karan-2 Donna Karan

This collection made me think of liquid. All the draping just had a fluidity and movement to them. Lots of orange again.

I loved the pencil skirts that had sheer overlaps.

It’s all very nice but it looks like an extension of last season.

Thakoon Thakoon-1 Thakoon

One of Michelle Obama’s favorites.

Very comfortable looking clothes. I can see lots of moms wanting to wear them.

Zero   Maria Cornejo Zero   Maria Cornejo-1 Zero   Maria Cornejo-2 Maria Cornejo
 
Iris opened and closed the show.

Another one of Michelle Obama’s favorite designers.

All I could think of going through these looks is that…women who are not that proud of their bodies would love to wear these flattering pieces.

Rad Hourani-2Rad Hourani

Okay, all my friends, especially the guys, love Rad.

I can sorta see why. It all looks very hip. I can see a lot of kids on the streets wearing these.

With that said, it all looks very Rick Owens. I often feel these days that leather and shredded jeans  is a cliché with designers.

J MendelJ Mendel

This collection is very easy on the eyes.  The colors are just so delicious aren’t they? This is like a lighter and uncomplicated version of Marchesa.

Jill Stuart Jill Stuart-1 Jill Stuart

Don’t the first looks remind you of Balenciaga/ Pugh?

While everyone else has moved on, Jill seems to still be stuck on the big shoulders.

A few good pieces, but I can’t help but feel like it's been done before and done better by other designers. (Alla’s last look just scream last seasons Wang).

You have read this article 2010 Spring/Summer / Carolina Herera / Donna Karan / Fashion week / Marc Jacobs / s/s 2010 / Zac Posen with the title NYC Fashion Week S/S 2010 Day 5. You can bookmark this page URL http://viciomusicayelamor.blogspot.com/2009/09/nyc-fashion-week-ss-2010-day-5.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...