Fashion in Art: James Jacques Tissot

Elena (gmktk) and I were just discussing our favorite artists and we came upon our admiration for James Jacques Tissot.

He is extraordinary in the fact that most of his paintings contain women in very beautiful clothes.  To me, his paintings are couture.  I don’t know if any of you have ever tried drawing ruffles and details of dresses but they are not easy—at least for me.  So I admire someone who can do this quite well.  To me, it is like magic.  How can his paintings not be photographs?

Also, I just wanted to share one of my favorite time periods: The Edwardian Era.  It is such a magical time when everything was moving so fast.  The  car and phone were just being invented…along with photography…and fashion never looked better.

Some of my favorite authors lived in that era: E.M. Forster and Henry James.

I greatly recommend Room with a View for you younger gals.

L'Ambitiuse-(The-Political-Lady)-1883-85-large[1]Jacques-The-Bridesmaid-large[1]The-Ball-large[1] The-Gallery-of-H.M.S.-'Calcutta'-(Portsmouth)-large[1]The-Letter-large[1]
Croquet-large[1]  The-Princesse-De-Broglie-large[1]The-Woman-Of-Fashion-large[1] Too-Early-large[1] The-Concert-large[1]
 On-The-Thames-large[1] Young-Women-Looking-At-Japanese-Objects-large[1]Spring-(or-Seaside)-large[1] The-Confidence-(or-The-Admission)-large[1] A-Fete-Day-At-Brighton-large[1] Autumn-on-the-Thames-(or-Nuneham-Courtney)-large[1]
The-Captain's-Daughter-large[1] In-the-Conservatory-(Rivals)-(2)--1875-78-large[1] The-Two-Sisters;-Portrait-large[1]  Quarrelling-large[1] The-Sporting-Ladies-large[1] Still-on-Top-1874-large[1]The-Return-From-The-Boating-Trip-large[1]La-Cheminee-large[1] Reading-The-News-large[1]Une-Veuve-(A-Widow)-1868-large[1]In-Church-large[1]
  These paintings make me think of this Dior collection:
41m 42m 48m  43m 47m52m
73m 74m70m  71m 72m 68m 65m 64m 63m62m  36m 40m

You have read this article Art / Dior with the title Fashion in Art: James Jacques Tissot. You can bookmark this page URL https://viciomusicayelamor.blogspot.com/2009/06/fashion-in-art-james-jacques-tissot.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...